somecognition :: a pondering of all things un-final.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

soft my soul says

subtle sounds appease the ear. nothing boisterous, or loud, or arrogant. my soul can't handle it, Yo-yo ma has become my friend as of late.

it wanders to and fro. often dissapointed, settling for thirds versus firsts. i see older men and all of a sudden understand.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. -thoreau

Losing wonder and sleep you stubtly find that the tides have carried you off course. The destination is somewhere over the horizon, however you have no clue which horizon. You climb many a peak only to find it absent, despite what the marketing messages scream.

however, there is a hope that does not dissapoint. I have never been dissapointed by it, however I have found my self dissapointed by not buying it. I don't lay my head to rest there, however it is where i fall. Not gracefully, might I add. Not to be mentioned on the resume of life or on a first date, i find my falling an area of non-discussion. i am proud. therefore i am shamed. i think much of self, therefore think too much of self. not necessarly thinking less of myself, just wanting to think of my self less and in proper context of the Story at large.

other news
a question that has no answer can either be; A) definitionally impossible; ie. can God create a rock so big he can't move it? - this is like asking him to create a square circle or B) a relative inquiry into the eternal that the temporal facilities can not fathom therefore it is perceived to be a non-answer.

I find A to be what I ask of friends and both A & B to be what I ask of God.

3 comments:

Arnold said...

Your Thoreau quote is one of my favorites. Story of my life.

Stephen Hunton said...

great post Roy. The Huntons miss you and hope you are doing well. Little "A-Man" is gettin pretty large and in charge, but things have been great...

Garrett said...

so, here's what happens. i get a little busy and then realize that i haven't read anybody's blogs lately. so, then i read them all and comment on them all in one day. haha i love it brotha.

as for the question- could we refer to the rock as a rule? could God's righteousness require him to create or to be a law or rule that could never be broken, not even by himself? i.e. the wages of sin is death. he can't do anything about that. in fact, it such a hard and fast rule that he chose to sacrifice his own begotten image and son in order to accomplish what he wanted.

i can't tell if i'm circumventing the question, or merely looking at it from a different angle. either way, i'm glad he found a way.